Some noteworthy people
[It is planned to publish a number of biographies or verbal sketches on this website, to be added to in due course. Lists of those involved in the village, in various ways, will also be posted here.]
Don Wilcock was the founding chairman of Bowburn LHS.
Two significant figures in the first forty years of Bowburn Colliery were John Gladstone Ramsay, under-manager from about 1908 till 1937, and Alderman William Kelly, checkweighman from 1932 till 1949. Biographies of both men can be downloaded from this site. They give important insights into the the growth of the village, industrial relations at the pit and political allegiances. Also available are the slides from a presentation given to Bowburn LHS on 15th November 2012.
Quarrington’s Big Houses and its residents
Some quite large houses were built in Quarrington in the 19th century. As well as the Vicarage (whose occupants can be found in the “Churches and religion” section of this website) and the pubs and farmhouses which are also covered (or will be covered) in other sections of this website, these included:
• Bowburn House (or Hall)
• Park Hill farmhouse
• Clarence Villa
• West Hetton Lodge and
• Hill Top House.
Many of the residents of these houses were important to the history of coal mining (and railways and even shipbuilding) – not just locally but regionally, and in some cases beyond that.