Churches and religion


The sub-pages linked from the foot of this page list numerous events in the history of churches in the Bowburn area. [Go to foot of page.] Most of these are gleaned from local newspapers. More may be added as further information is collected. Some weddings and burials are included, where reports of those include the names of significant church officials or members. Below is a very brief history of churches and religious practice in and around Bowburn.
 

Summary

Quarrington (including Bowburn) was in the parish of St. Helen’s, Kelloe, till the new ecclesiastical district of Cassop-cum-Quarrington was formed in 1865. The parish church, St. Paul’s, was built three years later, at Quarrington Hill. This closed in 1991 and was demolished in 1993.
St. Paul’s Church

After Bowburn Colliery was sunk, two Methodist chapels were built in the village – first the Primitive Methodist chapel at the top of Durham Road West, in 1908, and then the Wesleyan chapel at the bottom, in 1909-10.
Wesleyan Chapel, before entrance was moved in 1990-92

The main branches of British Methodism combined in 1932 but the Durham Road 
Methodist Church (formerly PM) and the Central Methodist Church (formerly Wesleyan) operated separately till 1964, when they joined to become Bowburn Methodist Church.
Primitive Methodist Chapel

The top chapel was sold in 1969 and demolished soon afterwards, the site later being developed as Lambs Place.

The Anglican St. John’s Mission Church was built in 1926, next to the Hare & Greyhound. It was sold in 1967 and is now a house.
St. John’s Mission Church

The first Christ the King Church was built in Prince Charles Avenue, starting in 1963 but only being completed in 1978. This was demolished in 2007. The new church was built on the same site in 2008.
Christ the King Church and vicarage, in 2006

No other denominations have had dedicated places of worship in Bowburn (nor elsewhere in Quarrington), though services have occasionally been held in other public buildings. Local Roman Catholics have mostly used R. C. Churches at West Cornforth or, later, at Coxhoe.

Neither have there been any synagogue, temple or mosque of other religions in the village, the nearest being in Durham City. In recent years, however, Eid celebrations have sometimes been held in Bowburn Community Centre, as well as some weekly study sessions.


See below for Church and Religion subpages